Pros of Petroleum
- 42 Gallons of Crude Oil makes 45 gallons of petroleum. That is a 7% gain.
- Petroleum produces many products besides energy, ink, crayons, deodorant and tires are just a few examples.
- Our world uses petroleum to move people and merchandise.
- The equipment to get petroleum continues to get more advanced and cost effective.
- It costs a lot of money to drill but it makes a profit bigger than the cost, this helps the economy.
Cons of Petroleum
- Petroleum is non-renewable. It formed over millions of years and more can't be made in a short amount of time.
- Petroleum can pollute air, soil, water and can injure animals.
- Drilling from the ground is expensive. If not enough petroleum is purchased the industry will crash.
- If oil leaks when drilling on the shoreline it can kill many plants and animals living in the water. It also pollutes the water.
- Petroleum has a highly toxic composition and this could cause problems when used in huge volumes in the industrial world.